Monday, January 28, 2008

Welcome to my little corner!



So, you want to know a little something about me eh... I like long walks on the beach ... oh that's not what you meant? OK, then let's try this again. I like art, all kinds of art, mixed up art, multi-media art, and of course Altered Art. I live in Michigan and work a full time day job. I spend a lot of time in my home studio each evening after work, and I am a night owl, I just love the night!

I don't have a specific way to work but I do visualize what I want to create and work forward from there. When I get inspired I clearly see what I am going to make and things just seem to fall into place for me. Usually I don't veer too far away from that first mental image unless I have to work through some kind of materials glitch. I did take art lessons as a youth in Pittsburgh, PA through a school program and it taught me how to see (in order to draw) but other than that I'm pretty much self taught. I experiment all the time and I own so many books and subscribe to at least 8 magazines all dealing with some form of art. I've made some incredible art just because I wasn't afraid to try something in a magazine, and I believe everyone is artistic! You just have to start something and see where it takes you.

Not all forms of art will float your boat, I couldn't bear to "Warp a Loom," although I did like the actual weaving part, I even bought a loom thinking I would master this... in the end I made a few Tallitot - (Jewish Prayer Shawls) then sold my loom. It just wasn't for me. I love to bead, paint, sew, do Silver work using traditional methods and I am also a certified artisan in PMC. That's Precious Metal Clay for those of you who don't know the initials thing... I learned what an altered book was by accident just doing a Google search one day and then I was hooked into altered arts of all kinds. So my best advice is to not let self-doubt get in the way of you picking up some good art supplies and a good magazine (Altered Arts is a good one), and starting a project today! Look at what it is that you like and recreate it in your own way, with your own colors, textures, and style. Then step back and enjoy that great feeling ... knowing "I made this!"

4 comments:

Renee said...

Hi Edie!
I'd love to see some of your PMC work on this blog and some tips and tricks. I've just bought a kit and am sort of terrified to start!
Renee

Edie Simons said...

Hi Renee,
Have you ever worked with PMC before? It is really quite easy to teach yourself along with a good basics how to book. I reccomend Creative Metal Clay Jewelry By: CeCe Wire. It covers everything you need to know as a beginner and yet it isn't so easy that you would get tired of it quickly. I'll think about incorporating some PMC into an altered piece and posting it in the future. Do you have a kiln? If not, that could be a problem. Let me know, ok?

Renee said...

I've not worked with PMC before. I got a kit from Fire Mountain Bead Co. It came with a butane torch so I guess that's what I'll try. Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll get it. Would love to see some PMC in your altered art! Renee

Edie Simons said...

Hello Again,
I want to tell you to use caution with the torch method of sintering metal clay. It is a process that takes some practice with watching what the clay looks like, and knowing when to stop the flame. If you hold the flame on the piece too long the silver clay will puddle up in a molten blob, if you don't hold the flame long enough the silver clay will not be completely sintered and inevitably be weak. It might hold together for awhile but one day you will just be putting it down on your dresser and blam... it will crack in two. If this happens you will be able to see a thin line of what will look like white chalk in the center of the silver, that means it wasn't held hot long enough.
What you are looking for: the piece needs to be glowing orange, but only for 3 seconds before you remove the flame off of your work. When you use the torch start the flame at the edges and move the torch head all around the piece working from the edges towards the middle. Keep the whole part of the clay hot, not just a portion of it. Also, remember that gravity is something to think about too, if you are holding your clay between tongs it will slump, use a soldering brick and lay your work down flat on that. Good Luck!
Edie